BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, May 23, 2011

Egg retrieval

Was not a fun experience. I hope to never have to do that again. We drove down to IVF Dr town the night before, had a nice night and good day waiting for retrieval. Visited our favorite brewery, the beach and the river.

As the day went on I could tell DH was getting anxious about having to give his sample. Of course I could not resist giving him a hard time. I mean really... I just gave myself injections for 10 days and was about to have the eggs I grew taken from my body and he gets to have some "pleasure."

Anyways, we arrived very early but waited until it was our time before entering. Could not find anyone for a few, IVF Dr was busy with some eggs so did not bother him. Soon everyone arrived and started giving us the down low on everything. The nurse kept saying that I was the one with a lot of follicles and that she wasn't surprised I was moving gingerly.

The prep was very quick. From one thing to another without much explanation. Did not actually get one word spoken directly to me from IVF Dr, he spoke to the nurse briefly- like 5 or less words but did not speak to me. I figure he is just a work-a-holic and maybe a little aspergers (always diagnosing people with my profession). One should know this is coming when they see this Dr as to not be offended. They did do some sedation for the procedure and I am not sure if it is just me (I have had problems with sedation not working in the past) or not enough meds but I was awake during the whole thing and could have cried/screamed the whole time. It is VERY painful. Most IVF Dr's put people all the way out for this but the joys of Alaska is we don't get most things. There were tears at the end- tears for being happy that it was over and crying over pain (it was excruciating). I am feeling better today but was not walking very well last night. Should have taken today off as this morning was rough but I have made it through.

All that being said we did get a whopping 21 eggs! It seems like a lot. I am hopeful that they are mature and fertilized well. We will find out tomorrow sometime between 6am and 6pm (36 to 48 hrs after retrieval) how they are doing and what the tentative plan for transfer will be. I did well today not thinking about it too much (too sore for much) but I am not sure how well I will do tomorrow.


Prayers for happy healthy embies that will be perfect for a 5 day transfer on Friday!

0 comments: